Sunday, October 13, 2013

FIrst it is a Home, then it is not, then it is a Home



This summer I returned once again to Amarillo, Texas, where I still have family, with my daughter for some time.

There was a period of time when I loathed going to that town, and it was truly just to say "hello" to those family members as I would nearly stay sequestered in my mother's home, not wishing to venture out into the city I had left in heart and mind when I graduated. This was for many years.

It has only been since having a child, and returning to a place that at one time was home, then was quite foreign to me, but is now a place that I enjoy returning to with her as I learn new things each time about the place I thought I once knew.

It often takes the eyes of the child to wipe the sleep from our eyes, or cleanse our jaded minds about something.

Much happened this summer during that trip. Some good, some not so good, but all of it was a learning experience, and one that allowed me to come back with much to think about, work on, and to celebrate, even when it was tough.

It's when we let go of thinking we know what we think we know that we actually begin to learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment